Sunday, April 18, 2010

Fruit Pie!

I found the recipe that I destroyed to make my pie at Meadowbrook Farm.  This has become one of my favorite blogs to follow so definitely go check them out!

I really wanted to make a strawberry rhubarb pie and this recipe called for CREAM CHEESE(!) so instantly I knew I had some baking plans for the weekend.  Unfortunately, according to the produce managers in 3 (yes, 3) local grocery stores, rhubarb is only available in April, May & June in VA.  They failed to see the stupidity that it was April, closer actually to May when they told  me this valuable piece of information.  Anyway, I had purchased 4lb of strawberries at BJ's (YUM) and refused to be deterred by the issue surrounding the rhubarb that is apparently only available now but not available.  I'm glad I perservered because the pie turned out awesome!

Ingredients:
1 baked 9" pie shell (I cheated and used frozen.  baked 8 minutes at 350*)
8oz softened cream cheese
2/3 c and 3tbsp sugar
4c fresh strawberries cut into chunks
2c frozen fruit (mine was a dole mix of Mango and peaches)
lemon juice
3 heaping tbsp cornstarch

In bowl combine cream cheese and 3 tbsp sugar until well blended, spread over bottom and sides of pie shell.

In saucepan add 1/4c water and 2c strawberries.  Simmer 5 minutes until a little mushy and smelling good!
remove from heat
add 2/3c sugar, frozen fruit, a generous squeeze of lemon juice and corn starch
mix over medium heat until it becomes thick.

remove from heat
blend in fresh berries
cool and add to pie shell













chill until firm and Enjoy!


ps...I wish my pictures were prettier but it doesn't really matter because the pie tastes good :)

Shared with
The Girl CreativeBWS tips button

Photobucket

3 comments:

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

I love rhubarb! I often buy the frozen chunks (in the frozen fruit section). I find fresh rhubarb hard to find. I usually am able to get it at Whole Foods. Your pie looks delish!

Manuela

Mad in Crafts said...

Mmmmmm. Fruit AND cream cheese? Yes, please. I think I might have to try this recipe out once our Michigan blueberries start showing up at the stores!

Thanks for linking up to the Mad Skills party!

Unknown said...

I love fruit pies and this one looks really delicious!