...I'm pretty sure it's my social life. Returned from banishment! Or maybe it was on vacation? Or sabbatical? (nah, it's not a 'smart' social life...definitely not smart enough to have been on sabbatical).
It sort of smells the same (girlfriendy and boozy).
It feels good (chatter-filled, relaxy, accepting).
Okay - all sarcasm and joking aside. I would like to give sincere thanks this Friday for the return of my social life. I was thinking about this the other day and we have had a long separation. About 5 years.
First, in the fall of 2005 I got pregnant. I wish I could be one of those fabulous pregnant woman who manages to work full time, and keep up her gym membership and still hang w/ the cool kids after work and on weekends. I was not that girl. I was tired...anemic and exhausted.
Then we had Nattie - and I lost a little bit more of my social life thru her early infancy and by nature of it being winter in VT and everyone going home to cozy up and hibernate for a few months.
Then we moved to VA. Just when I might have reclaimed my social life I found myself flying solo in a new place. Tough to have a social life when you have no friends for 600 miles. I make acquaintances very easily but with the limited free time that comes as a young Mom working full time I don't waste my precious hours on anyone who has no potential to be a GOOD friend. Snob, nope. I just know who I'm looking for and they know me.
And I did meet some really good friends along the way. However, we all have kids, young ones. And no one know better than a Mom how fast a "social life" can be derailed by a sick kid (yours or theirs)...
And then I got pregnant again...and I was that same version of myself except not anemic... This time around I was simply tired because I was pregnant and had a 2 year old to chase around.
And then Patrick arrived.
And now he is a year old...and suddenly I'm finding that I have women around me that "get me" and I "get them" and we're having a lot of fun. And I am so giddy to finally have my social life back!
Filled with glee and giddyness and joy and thanks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Finding your social groove after having a kid is rough. I shed quite a few friends after my daughter was born, but I found really great women to hang out with in the process.
Thanks for stopping by my blog. Hopefully, my comment program is working next time. It was supposed to make things better :(
Well, I am jealous. First because I have NO social life (it just doesn't happen most of the time) and second-I totally wished we lived closer-it would be fun to hang out! I am glad that you are going to get to have some fun! Enjoy yourself!
Amanda@The Modern Brady Bunch
I can't wait until that happens to me...there's times when I'm so focused on my girls playdates that I miss planning my own. :( Thanks for the realization that it will happen!
Aren't friends the best? Glad you've got some social life back :)
Post a Comment