Friday, January 14, 2011

Garden Journal?

Yes, it's 1/14/11 and there is a cold breeze under cloudless blue skies...that has not stopped my mind from wandering toward the garden.

Anyone out there ever done a garden journal?  I really feel like this is the year that I need to get a handle on what is in the yard, flower beds, garden, etc.  I've lost all track of it and when I was planting bulbs this fall I kept digging up other stuff I'd planted earlier.  And then I had a few things send up shoots and I have no idea what they are. 

So, I need to get organized.  I want to know what is in the yard.  I want to know when I'm supposed to fertilize it, prune it and what I should plant near it based on size and color and bloom season. 

I think I will start with a small flower bed near the kids play set.  I know I have a tree there (no idea what kind anymore), a peone, and some bulbs.  As this stuff comes to life this spring I intend to catalog it.  Then repeat for each area of the yard. 

Now, how do I organize all of this into a binder?  Here is where I need suggestions.

And I need some kind of a calendar to remind me what I'm supposed to do when.

And yes, I'm aware that I'm type A.

1 comment:

scrapvt said...

Get some dividers and label them, herbs, flowers, veggies, etc. Even try some pockets to put pictures and ideas or sketches into. Good luck!

Love you!