Sunday, March 7, 2010

Garden - Phase I - Part I - complete

After much debate, some heated argument and more than a few tears (mine) the veggie/herb garden revamp is underway.  This weekend we pulled the old boards apart to find that termites had been munching and they were all junk.  I moved all the dirt from the 'L' section and trimmed up the landscape mat.  We got some new lumber and rezised the front  then dug out the sides and leveled a bit.  Ran the landscaping stuff underneath the back where the garden did not live before and the extended sides and then raked the dirt out some.  I think we'll need another 1-1.5 yards of garden soil/compost and 2 yards of mulch. 

You can see from the pictures where the old garden used to lie (lay?), its new position, and from the landscape stuff where the surrounding flower beds will be.  In the rear of the veggie bed we'll undo the boards from the herb garden and border it with something (TBD) and run some step stones between the 2.  Lots of mulch and probably some perennials to jazz it up and attract beneficial insects, birds, butterflies and bees.  :)

My back is $%%#%#! Killing me!  But I think my vision is coming together and I'm very pleased to be out digging!

2 comments:

Allison @ House of Hepworths said...

You are so good! I don't think I'd dare tackle a garden. I'm impressed!! Keep up the awesome work.

Allison @ http://www.houseofhepworths.com/

Leslie said...

I need to start our garden... any and all tips you can post would be appreciated!!!