This weekend was CRAZY! I'm not even going to try to explain all that I had going on and just focus on a couple of highlights. I also will not dwell on what my body feels like right now and will assume that the old description of "finding muscles you didn't know you had" will lead everyone to the correct conclusion. The rehab of the veggie garden is complete :) I cannot stress enough how happy I am with the result and can honestly and truly say that my pictures do not do it justice.
Here's the process...
Supplies!
This doesn't look terribly exciting but it was an hineyload of work. I basically rototilled these sections with good old elbow grease and a large (heavy) shovel. This wouldn't have been the most terrible thing ever except we have (IMO) the densest clay soil in the universt (yes, seriously) and the $%!!%$* landscaping we've got in our yard involves this green, plastic mesh crap that is impossible to get out of the ground.
Yes, that's more of my "rototilling" skills on display :)
I then spent the requisite amount of time needed for my type A self moving the pots around so things looked just so.
Definitely do not forget about these fabulous little things. You can't see them but they're in there :)
And here is the finished product w/ the exception of needing to bury the drip hose. I think it looks absolutely fantastic!
More fantasticness!
and a special thank you goes out to my helpers! I couldn't have done it without my kids being excellent nappers and supremely well behaved and great at playing together. No, I'm not being sarcastic anymore. With absolute earnestness I thank my kids for their fabulous selves this weekend!
***Notes - I would love to say which plants I used but Hubby tossed the plant tags before I had written it all down. I recall jasmine, peony, blueberry, catmint, and Yarrow. I did my best to stick w/ mounding or spreading perennials. Several of the plants that I did pop in there for this year are annuals to take up space while the perennials establish. I also made a very concerted effort to use plants that attract beneficial bugs, butterflies and birds. We'll see how it goes. And finally, you might notice the black trash bin in the background. We've filled it w/ compost and are waiting for it to cook. 1x a week I'll lay it on its side and roll it a bit. I estimate we'll have some awesome dirt in about 4 weeks. There is a huge pile of other organic matter by its side just waiting for our first batch to 'mature' and then we'll see what we see.
For before's and other random tips on this project see here :)
finally - I realize you can't see any veggies yet. but there are some seeds in there. and soon enough its going to be my giant food producing fabulously yummy place to get dinner, super fresh!
Shared with














3 comments:
Oh how cute are your little ones!!! I love the little sunhat. Your gardening project looks like so much fun!
What a great project! Let me know when the veggies are ready and I'll be over for supper! I'm dropping by from Cottage Instincts. I hope to see you back at my place soon! until later...
Hey there - good work! I'll need your help soon with plant selections. When we chose our home site for the South facing backyard, I forgot that meant a North facing front...and you know what that means around these parts!! : )
Post a Comment